What we love about this marinara sauce
- This marinara sauce is such a simple recipe, once you make it yourself you probably won’t buy store bought again.
- This 2 minute marinara sauce is perfect for whenever you’ve failed to prep a recipe for dinner, or forgotten to take something out of the freezer for the night.
- We choose this meal over takeout all the time.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
Ingredients you might need to pick up
- Crushed tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Dried basil
- Dried parsley
Making changes to a recipe can result in recipe failure. Any substitutions listed below are simple changes that I believe will work in this recipe, but results are not guaranteed.
How to make this homemade marinara sauce
Heat the garlic. In a saucepan, heat olive oil and minced garlic over medium heat until garlic is fragrant. Allow it to cook for about 30 seconds.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through. Simmer until ready to use.
Everything you need to know about marinara sauce
There really isn’t any difference. Marinara is a type of spaghetti sauce, but spaghetti sauce could also refer to sauces like a ragu or meat sauce.
This type of marinara sauce will work on literally any pasta you choose.
You just need to cook it long enough to infuse your tomatoes with the flavors of your other ingredients (like basil and garlic). We recommend at least 2 minutes, but if you have more time, feel free to simmer the sauce a bit longer on low.
More pasta sauce recipes you will love
Other Italian pasta recipes you should try
- One pot pasta puttanesca
- Bucatini all’amatriciana
- Italian sausage and peppers pasta
- Bucatini cacio e pepe
Want more pasta recipes?
Subscribe to get the latest recipes delivered to your inbox!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 28- ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and minced garlic over medium heat.
- Once garlic is fragrant, allow it to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through. Simmer until ready to use.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Marinara sauce, marinara, hearty marinara sauce, homemade marinara sauce, spaghetti marinara, best marinara sauce, meatball marinara