What we love about olive oil pasta sauce
- If we could pick one easy pasta recipe that is our “in a pinch” go-to, this easy pasta sauce would be it. This is probably one of the first recipes we both knew how to make, without having to think about it.
- This recipe is super customizable. Add more crushed red peppers if you like it spicy, or try adding some lemon zest in with the garlic. Even a pinch of dried basil can change the flavor of this sauce.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
Ingredients you might need to pick up
- Olive oil – You can use whatever olive oil you have on hand, but for best results use a fresh, quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic – Mincing your own garlic for this recipe works best, but you can use pre-minced garlic if needed. We don’t recommend using garlic powder.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – This gives the sauce a little heat. Feel free to skip it if you’re not a fan or add a bit more if you like it spicy.
Making changes to a recipe can result in recipe failure. Any substitutions listed below are simple changes that I believe will work in this recipe, but results are not guaranteed.
How to make this recipe
Heat the olive oil. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
Simmer the aromatics. Once the olive oil is heated, add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté until the garlic is aromatic, about 30 seconds.
If you aren’t ready to add your pasta just yet, remove the pan from the heat to prevent the garlic from burning.
Serve with your favorite pasta. Reserve some pasta water from the pasta before draining. Stir to coat pasta in sauce, adding a tablespoon or two of pasta water to help the sauce thicken and adhere to the pasta.
Everything you need to know about this recipe
We would not recommend doing this. Olive oil has a distinct flavor that is not the greatest without simmering some garlic or herbs in it. Olive oil does however, make a quick and flavorful sauce with just a bit of seasoning.
Olive oil and butter have very flavor different, but they are interchangeable for substitution. You would substitute equal parts, though your result will be best if you use the ingredients listed in the recipe.
If you’re looking for a dairy free butter, Melissa recommends Smart Balance for pasta recipes.
More pasta sauce recipes you will love
Other easy pasta recipes you should try
Want more pasta recipes?
Subscribe to get the latest recipes delivered to your inbox!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated, add garlic and crushed red peppers. Sauté until garlic is aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite pasta.
Nutrition facts are for sauce only.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: olive oil pasta, olive oil with pasta, pasta in olive oil sauce, garlic & olive oil pasta, pasta with garlic and oil, olive oil pasta recipe, garlic olive oil pasta sauce, garlic and olive oil pasta