What we love about this tikka masala pasta
- Tikka masala pasta is an unexpected delight, incorporating two very different cuisines for a delicious fusion dish.
- Try topping this spiced pasta with some shaved pecorino romano, the sharpness of the cheese pairs wonderfully with the sweet, tang of the sauce and elevates the spices to another level.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
**This post contains affiliate links. We may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. We will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients you might need to pick up
- Crushed tomatoes
- Garam masala – This is a curry spice mixture that can be purchased from your local grocery store. If you are unable to find it in the pantry isle, make sure to check the international section.
- Fenugreek – This is a bittersweet Mediterranean herb that is reminiscent of maple. This can be a little tricker to find, we picked this up at our local Penzey’s store.
Making changes to a recipe can result in recipe failure. Any substitutions listed below are simple changes that I believe will work in this recipe, but results are not guaranteed.
How to make this masala pasta
Cook the pasta. Follow the package instructions for cooking to al dente. Reserve ½ a cup of pasta water for the sauce. Drain and set aside.
Make the sauce. In a skillet, sauté onions, garlic and ginger in olive oil, cooking until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and spices and stir until well combined. Whisk in the heavy cream and a few tablespoons of pasta water.
Pull it all together. When sauce is prepared, stir pasta into the sauce until well coated. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and shaved pecorino cheese if desired.
Everything you need to know about this tikka masala
Tikka masala is a heavily spiced dish, and it does have some heat to it. The spice mixtures you use will determine how spicy your tikka masala will be. For this recipe we used a mild-moderate level of spice, feel free to add a little more cayenne or a little less if you prefer.
Garam masala is the main spice flavor in this recipe. Garam masala itself is a spice mixture that consists of cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and black pepper.
This sauce is tomato based with lots of spices balanced by a splash of cream. You can taste the tomatoes in this sauce though they have been infused with a variety of spices.
More unique pasta recipes you will love
Other spiral pasta recipes you should try
Want more pasta recipes?
Subscribe to get the latest recipes delivered to your inbox!
1 pound spiral pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 cup crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek
1/4 teaspoon chili powder*
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup half and half
Salt to taste
- Cook pasta to al denté. Drain and set aside, reserving ½ cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, spices. Stirring to incorporate.
- Whisk in heavy cream. Add 2-3 tablespoons of pasta water. Whisk again.
- Add pasta to skillet, stirring until well coated.
*For a spicier version substitute 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Spiral
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: masala pasta, tikka masala pasta, masala pasta recipe, masala macaroni, healthy pasta recipe, spiced pasta, healthy pasta