Here’s what you’ll need to make it
Ingredients you might need to pick up
- Corn on the cob
- Fresh basil leaves
- Shallot – you can substitute sweet onion or green onion if you don’t have any shallots.
- Shell pasta – you can use a different type of pasta, but the we love the way the shells hold onto the pieces of corn.
Making changes to a recipe can result in recipe failure. Any substitutions listed below are simple changes that I believe will work in this recipe, but results are not guaranteed.
How to make this recipe
Prep the corn. You’ll need to remove the kernels from two ears of corn and grate two ears of corn for the sauce using a box grater. Make sure you keep all of the just from the corn.
Set them aside in separate bowls while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Boil the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente – different packages will vary – and make sure the water is salted.
Before draining the pasta, pull about 1 cup of pasta water from the pot and reserve it for the sauce.
Make the sauce. Heat a large skillet to medium high. Once it’s hot, add the olive oil, along with the shallots. Sauté until tender and translucent. Add the corn and grated corn juice.
Let it cook until the corn has brightened and become slightly tender. Then, reduce heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer until the pasta is ready.
Toss the pasta. Add the drained pasta to the pan with your sauce. Add in pasta water (about 1/2 cup to start) and stir until the pasta is evenly coated with sauce.
Garnish and serve. If need, add more pasta water and adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste. Top with fresh basil just before serving with your favorite grated cheese.
More summer pasta recipes you’ll love
Other corn recipes you should try
Want more pasta recipes?
Subscribe to get the latest recipes delivered to your inbox!
16 ounces shell pasta
4 cobs corn, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup basil, finely sliced
- Remove the kernels from two ears of corn. Set aside.
- Grate the remaining corn cobs. Reserve the pulp and juice for the sauce. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot with salted water, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Before draining, reserve about 1 cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a large skillet to medium-high. Heat olive oil and sauté the garlic and shallots. Sauté until tender and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels and continue to sauté until the corn is bright yellow and tender.
- Mix in the grated corn with its juices and the lemon zest.
- Add drained pasta to the skillet and stir to coat, adding about 1/2 cup of pasta water to create a sauce.
- Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste, and garnish with fresh basil before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Shells
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: corn pasta, pasta with corn, corn pasta recipe, summer pasta recipe, sweet corn recipe